“Russia in Greece – Greece in Russia”
25 September 2016 until 24 October 2016
The exhibition “Icons from the State Tretyakov Gallery’s Collection. The Russian Icon Painting after the Fall of Constantinople” is presented within the frameworks of the events celebrating 2016 as the year “Russia in Greece – Greece in Russia”.
The exhibition was preceded by the presentation of a distinguished icon of the State Treytakov Gallery’s Collection, the icon of the Ascension, connected with the famous religious painter Andrej Rublev. Officially presented by the President of the Russian Federation Mr. Vladimir Putin and the Greek Prime-Minister in May 2016, the Ascension icon will remain in display in our Museum premises and contribute, along with the newly arrived icons, to make the Byzantine Museum visitors acquainted with Russian Religious Painting.
Within this context, several works of the State Tretyakov Gallery Collection, are displayed in the Byzantine Museum: icons, some of which are of impressive dimensions, sanctuary doors and even a part of a portable (“travel”) iconostasis, all representing important religious painting centers and workshops of Russia from the 15th to the 19th century.
There are works by important Russian religious painters among the exhibits, as an icon by Dionisy (circa 1440-1502), the famous late-15th-century painter in whose works the Russian spirituality is reflected, as well as icons by Simon Ushakov (1626-1686), the 17th-century painter who made western art infiltrate Russian religious painting tradition.
Many of the outstanding exhibits are worth to be mentioned, as the icon of The Hospitality of Abraham, an allegory of the Holy Trinity, painted in mid-16th century Moscow; three icons of impressive size, depicting the “In thee Rejoiceth” Hymn to the Virgin (late 16th- early 17th century), the Last Judgment (2nd half of the 16th century) and “Christ the Wisdom of God” (2nd half of the 16th century); further, the icon of the Virgin “The Unexpected Joy” (1st half of the 19th century), allusive of the numerous icons of the Virgin venerated as miraculous in Russia; last but not least, a part of a portable iconostasis consisting of eleven icons, which makes allusion to the monumental sanctuary screens of the Russian churches.
The bonds between Russian religious art and Byzantine tradition are clearly reflected throughout this exhibition. At the same time, yet, the differentiation points are highlighted, featuring the unique character of Russian religious painting.
The exhibition was organized by the Byzantine & Christian Museum in collaboration with the Directorate of Museums of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports, with the support of the Hellenic Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs, Department for Research and Innovation- General Secretariat for Research and Technology.
CONTRIBUTORS TO THE EXHIBITION
GENERAL CO - ORDINATION
dr Aikaterini P. Dellaporta
Director of the Byzantine and Christian Museum
CURATOR - TEXTS
dr Kalliopi - Phaidra Kalafati
Kavassis Korkovelos Giorgos
Photographer: Nikos Mylonas